Sign Up for Email Alerts
All Stylus E-Books
E-Books by Subject
E-Book Exam Copy
Request Exam Copy
Request Desk Copy
Blogs & Communities
Request Email Alerts
Discovery, Design and Novel Therapeutic Strategies
Dr. Guangshun Wang
Cloth: 978 1 78639 039 4 / $175.00
Published: October 2017
6 3/4" x 9 3/5"
Antimicrobial peptides (AMPs) have attracted extensive research attention worldwide. Harnessing and creating AMPs synthetically has the potential to help overcome increasing antibiotic resistance in many pathogens. In addition to covering the current advances in AMP research, this volume examines new technologies such as bioinformatics, combinatorial libraries, high-throughput screening, peptidomimetics, biophysics and structural biology. This volume also describes new methods and strategies for AMP prediction, design and applications that overcome obstacles in developing them into therapeutic agents.
Thoroughly updated and revised, the second edition contains new chapters covering: linear AMPs; disulfide-linked AMPs; the genetic basis of bacterial resistance and antibiofilm strategies; advances in AMP technologies that cover surface coating, biodetection, nanoparticles, formulation, and delivery; as well as understanding innate immunity and the basis for immune boosting.
Written by a group of established investigators,
is a valuable resource for postgraduate students, researchers, educators and medical and industrial personnel.
Table of Contents:
PART I: OVERVIEW OF ANTIMICROBIAL PEPTIDES
1. Discovery, Classification and Functional Diversity of Antimicrobial Peptides
PART II: NATURAL TEMPLATES FOR PEPTIDE ENGINEERING
2. Structural and Functional Diversity of Cathelicidins
3. Disulfide-linked Defensins and Their Therapeutic Potential
4. Lantibiotics: Bioengineering and Applications
PART III: EXPANDING PEPTIDE SPACE: COMBINATORIAL LIBRARY, GENOME-BASED PREDICTION AND DE NOVO DESIGN
5. Discovery of Novel Antimicrobial Peptides Using Combinatorial Chemistry and High-throughput Screening
6. Prediction and Design of Antimicrobial Peptides: Methods and Applications to Genomes and Proteomes
PART IV: MECHANISMS OF ACTION: BIOPHYSICS AND STRUCTURAL BIOLOGY
7. Antimicrobial Peptides: Multiple Mechanisms Against a Variety of Targets
8. Microbial Membranes and the Action of Antimicrobial Peptides
9. Non-membranolytic Mechanisms of Action of Antimicrobial Peptides – Novel Therapeutic Opportunities?
10. Structural Insight into the Mechanisms of Action of Antimicrobial Peptides and Structure-based Design
PART V: NOVEL THERAPEUTIC STRATEGIES: SYNERGY, IMMUNE MODULATION, SURFACE COATING, AND DELIVERY
11. Synergy of Antimicrobial Peptides
12. Surface Immobilization of Antimicrobial Peptides to Prevent Biofilm Formation
13. Sustained Delivery of Cathelicidin Antimicrobial Peptide-Inducing Compounds to Minimize Infection and Enhance Wound Healing
14. Immunomodulatory Activities of Cationic Host Defence Peptides and Novel Therapeutic Strategies
Related Titles by Subject:
Infectious & Communicable Diseases
Health & Medicine
Blogs & Communities
© 2017 Stylus Publishing, LLC Prices and descriptions subject to change without notice.